From the first edition, my aim has been to write a general chemistry text that provides a firm foundation in chemical concepts and principles and to instill in students an appreciation of the vital part chemistry plays in our daily life. It is the responsibility of the textbook author to assist both instructors and their students in their pursuit of this objective by presenting a broad range of topics in a logical manner. I have tried to strike a balance between theory and application and to illustrate basic principles with everyday examples whenever possible.
In this tenth edition, as in previous editions, my goal is to create a text that is clear in explaining abstract concepts, concise so that it does not overburden students with unnecessary extraneous information, yet comprehensive enough so that it prepares students to move on to the next level of learning. The encouraging feedback I have received from instructors and students has convinced me that this approach is effective.
What’s New in This Edition?
- NEW to the chapters is Review of Concepts. This is a quick knowledge test for the student to gauge his or her understanding of the concept just presented. The answers to the Review of Concepts are available in the Student Solutions Manual and on the companion ARIS (Assessment, Review, and Instruction System) website.
- NEW are powerful connections to electronic homework. All of the practice exercises for the Worked Examples in all chapters are now found within the ARIS (Assessment, Review, and Instruction System) electronic homework system. Each end-of-chapter problem in ARIS is noted in the Electronic Homework Problem section.
- Many NEW end-of-chapter problems with graphical representation of molecules have been added to test the conceptual comprehension and critical thinking skills of the student. The more challenging problems are listed under the Special Problems section.
- NEW computer-generated molecular orbital diagrams are presented in Chapter 10.
- Many sections have been revised and updated based on the comments from reviewers and users.