“Basic Concepts of Chemistry” by Leo J. Malone is a textbook that covers the fundamental concepts of chemistry. It is aimed at students who are taking an introductory course in chemistry, and it covers topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, chemical reactions, thermodynamics, and chemical equilibrium.
Some of the key concepts covered in the book include:
- Atomic structure: This section covers the basic structure of atoms, including the subatomic particles that make up atoms, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. It also covers the properties of atoms, such as atomic number, mass number, and isotopes.
- Chemical bonding: This section covers the different types of chemical bonds that can form between atoms, including ionic, covalent, and metallic bonds. It also covers the properties of molecules, such as polarity and intermolecular forces.
- Chemical reactions: This section covers the basic types of chemical reactions, including synthesis, decomposition, single displacement, double displacement, and combustion reactions. It also covers reaction stoichiometry and the use of chemical equations.
- Thermodynamics: This section covers the laws of thermodynamics, including the first law, which deals with energy conservation, and the second law, which deals with entropy. It also covers the concept of enthalpy and how it relates to chemical reactions.
- Chemical equilibrium: This section covers the concept of chemical equilibrium, including the equilibrium constant, Le Chatelier’s principle, and the factors that can affect chemical equilibrium.
Overall, “Basic Concepts of Chemistry” is a comprehensive textbook that provides a solid foundation in the fundamental concepts of chemistry.